Monday, November 7, 2016

Bent Creek's Bird Seed Cross Stitch, Finished as a Cube!

Hey everyone, hope you all had a great weekend. Winter is definitely starting to settle in here, temperatures have dropped noticably and the heating is back to running regularly. I'm also making good use of my hand-knit yo-yo jumper/sweater, it's so snuggly warm, just perfect for Winter. I posted a picture of it on my Facebook page recently, click here to check it out and like my page to get updates! I will do a blog post on that in the future, as it recently got a proper photo shoot and I have have lots of lovely pictures of it.

Anyway back to todays post, I have my very first cube finish to show off. I have seen lots of this type of finish around on other blogs and just love it. I have been wanting to try one myself for a while now, so I finally took the plunge and used my Bent Creek Bird Seed finish, posted here, to try it out. I had checked out a few posts showing how to put these together in the past, so I had a good idea of what I needed to do to complete it.

Cross Stitch Finish, Cube Finish, Bent Creek Bird Seed Finish
Bent Creek Bird Seed Cross Stitch - Cube Finish

I had two styrofoam blocks I had bought some time ago in my stash. One of these was too big for this project so I used the smaller one. Unfortunately it was too deep, so I ended up cutting it in half with a bread knife. Not the easiest thing I have ever done but it worked. Next time I think I will raid my partner's toolbox and use his saw. Also I will do it outside and not in our kitchen on the chopping board!

I searched through my stash of fabrics and selected a few different ones, before I settled on a tan piece with white polkadots. I pinned the cross stitch to the styrofoam block using flat headed pins, and did the same for the backing fabric. The back of the block was uneven from being cut, so I pinned a piece of batting to the back of the cube under the fabric to even it out.

Cross Stitch Finish, Cube Finish, Bent Creek Bird Seed Finish
Cross Stitch Cube Finish - Back

I used a strip of the same tan fabric to cover the sides and top of the cube. I wanted it to go all the way around but alas I didn't have a long enough piece, so I folded in the edges at the bottom and pinned them in place. The whole thing is finished off with a wide green and narrow tan ribbon.

I'm delighted with how this turned out, it was actually a relatively simple finish. There are a few things I would change the next time I make one of these. I would add in a piece of batting to the front under the stitching, as it adds a bit of dimension to the piece. Also the stitching on the front is slightly tilted, so on the next one I will have to make sure it is straight when pinning it in place. I think it just needed to be stretched slightly to get it to sit properly.

Cross Stitch Finish, Cube Finish, Bent Creek Bird Seed Finish

I'm really looking forward to doing more of these cube finishes. The next one I have in mind is the Soda Stitch Harvest of Love, seen here, and I think I have the perfect fabric for it but will have to wait and see. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for these finishes, anything you do differently? If you haven't done one before would you like to try it out? Let me know in the comments below!

That's all for now!

34 comments:

  1. Looks great! I've seen people use batting under the stitching, it does seem to help present the stitched area well. Good luck on your next one and it's always a learning process. Thanks for the tip about cutting the styrofoam cube outside too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I definitely think I will be using batting behind the stitching next time.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful. Great stitching, and excellent finishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I'm super happy with how this piece turned out as a cube and I'm really looking forward to making more of them.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the great cube finish. I'm not brave enough to try something like that.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. These cube finishes are super easy, as you just pin the fabric to the styrofoam cube you can just keep correcting til it's just right.

      Delete
  4. This is adorable! I have done one cube finish and will be doing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. They are such fun to do aren't they? I have to admit I'm a fan of any finishing that I don't have to take out my machine for :)

      Delete
  5. Great finishing on the cube! I have used a bread knife cutting the styrofoam, sure makes a mess! Wish I knew of a better way to cut this stuff! I use batting under the stitched piece and sometimes for the back but not always. This type of finish is addicting though once you get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I don't think there is a way to not make a mess with this stuff, though maybe cutting it on newspaper would make the clean up easier. I agree totally, they are very addicting once you get started.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the lovely finish!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I'm so happy with this finish. Can't wait to do more of them.

      Delete
  7. Love it! I think you did a great job. Mii suggested to try foam cushion pad rather than Styrofoam which I did. It's much less messy to cut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment and great suggestion. I must see if I can get some of that. The styrofoam blocks weren't the easiest to find so I like to know of alternatives.

      Delete
  8. A great cube finish!!! It looks splendid!
    I sometimes use foam for my cubes too. As Justine explained, it's less messy to cut and I add all around it matt board to make sure the edges are neat and the good old batting under the stitched piece & the reverse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment and all the great suggestions Mii. I will definitely be trying them as I see a lot more of this type of finish in my future :D

      Delete
  9. Wow you are becoming quite the gun on this little finishes now. You have a great eye for colour coordination on your fabric borders. It looks amazing. Well done!
    xo Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I must admit then that I had help from my OH on choosing the backing fabric. I had a number of possibilities and asked him what he thought. The polka dots were one of the ones he thought would look well. I chose the ribbons though :D

      Delete
  10. That is so cute! I have never done one, partly because I (weirdly enough) can't tolerate the feel of styrofoam!! Like nails on a chalkboard bothers some, styrofoam just freaks me out :)

    Love the polka dot fabric you used for the back and sides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your great comment. Mii & Justine suggested using foam cushion pad instead of styrofoam which might work for you instead. I haven't used it before but think I will try it.

      Delete
  11. Love it! You did a great job on it and I can't even see that the front is not straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. Good to know that the front doesn't look completely off. I think I know what to do next time so that it is completely straight.

      Delete
  12. What a great finish! I've done a cube finish a couple of times and I always think they turn out lovely....they look so impressive. Love the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. The cubes do look amazing. I have shown it to a few people and they can't figure out how they are done til I tell them its just a styrofoam block in the centre.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I hope to do my soda stitch finish as a cube in the near future. I think it would look great as this type of finish

      Delete
  14. Congrats on a very nice finish. Love the fabric you chose, it's so neat👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I actually took the time to measure and properly steam press all the edges and I'm glad I did as it looks much neater.

      Delete
  15. Love your cube finish. It is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Sally. This one is definitely staying with me, I usually give my finishes away but I just love this one.

      Delete
  16. Great finishing! Love the fabrics you picked. I haven't tried this style cube yet - mine are all sewn - but will have to give it a go. LOVE your sweater - perfect color and it looks so snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. Definitely give the cube finish a try, it's really easy and super fun. Thanks so much for your comment on my sweater, it is one of my favourites as it is just soooo warm!

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. You will definitely be seeing more of this type of finish as I just adore how it came out :)

      Delete

Would love to read any comments you would like to leave. Thanks for brightening my day :)